Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Help


I am offically obsessed with this book. I must start off by saying that I have read ONE book, yeah ya heard me right, ONE book in my entire life. It was THE NOTEBOOK by Nicholas Sparks and it took my 4 months to finish it. In high school I got the highest grade on my "To Kill a Mocking Bird" project and never read the first page (thanks spark notes!!)

Anywho, I kept hearing so much about THE HELP.  Lauren Little originally told me about it. She was listening to the audiobook on her iPod while we were in Destin.  I kept hearing about it because it was written by Kathryn Stockett who is from Jackson, and the book is written about Jackson.  Some of you may have read it, because it has been available for over a year now. I read that the book was rejected by 45 agencies. But it has spent a year on the Los Angeles Times bestseller list and even made it to #1.  So I broke down and bought the audiobook. I MUST recommend it. The book is read by four women who play the characters. So it is like a movie, just no picture.  

The story is so captivating, yet sad. I have laughed histerically and even sobbed.  I never knew I would think about a book while at work, or not want to listen to the radio on my long Lakeland Drive. It CONSUMED my life.  I would picture the characters riding the bus next to me when I drove down State Street.  I did not want the book to end.  I hope Kathryn Stockett has more novels coming, because I think she is genius! 

No comments:

Post a Comment