Monday, March 21, 2011

Long Time no see...(or write)

Man oh man it is so awful to see how long it has been since I have blogged. Things have been busy around our house. So much to catch up on...

Anyone who knows Joel, knows he LOVES a project. The man has to be working constantly. When one project is complete, his mind is just a racin' thinking of the next thing he can do. We have lived in our house almost 2 years, and never bought a coffee table. I never could decide what I wanted. When we bought our house, we pretty much bought all of our furniture from Miskellys. So everything has that shiny dark wood look, which I LOVE...but not every piece should match. Sooo, I had been looking at getting one of these  furniture carts from Restoration Hardware. But my cheap self, would not pay $1,100 for a coffee table that I want to plop my feet on.




Our dear friend Ed, who was Joel's neighbor in Starkville for 3 years, has sold furniture for over 20 years now. He has several old furniture carts from different stores, factories he has owned. One trip last summer Joel went to visit him, and Ed said "I got something Brooke might like for y'all's house" Joel's reply was "Naw, she wouldn't like that." Well that is because, the cart he wanted to give us looked like this:


So long story short, I finally convinced Joel to call him back, and ask if he still had it. Sweet Ed, of course, said he saved it just for us! I was THRILLED! We made a trip up to Starkville to pick it up. Joel spent about a week taking it apart, sanding it down, removing the rust from the wheels, etc. I have to admit, I was very skeptical how the finished product would come out. But it honestly could not look better. I requested that some of the paint be left on there, as a distressed look. The neat thing is...Ed's best guess was that it was 60-70 years old! So neat to me.

Here are some more pictures:



And here it is in our house:


1 comment: